April 19, 2013

Using ads as inspiration for your projects

Hi everyone. Today I have a fun multi-photo layout to share with you. Since this month’s SFTIO emotion is called “fortune” I wanted to scrap a layout of things that I am fortunate for. I had an idea of the photos that I wanted to use, but I had no idea about a design or how I would include my journaling so I simply started flipping through a magazine. There is so much inspiration in magazines… whether it’s the design of the ad, the colors, or the font/journaling prompts they are all there in bold print. The next time you are experiencing scrappers block, try looking through a magazine for inspiration.

Here is the magazine ad that caught my eye. I really like how the photos are tinted like the ones you would find on Instagram. Also, if you are looking for a program to help you print your photos like the ones displayed on this ad, you can do it through a free photo program called iPiccy. Check out www.ipiccy.com I promise you, you won’t regret it.

 
 

I used a ruler to help line up my title in a straight line at the top. This is the only way I can do it… otherwise my title will come out crooked. Also, another tip, I do not adhere anything until I know exactly where everything is gonna go. Here are some photos so that you can see how I scrap. I start with the papers. First, I layer them on the base. After my papers are adhered, I print my photos and move them around the page until I’m happy with a placement. Then I move embellishments around. Once I am happy with everything, I stick everything down.



 
Once everything is adhered, I look for a place to include my journaling. I always wait until everything is adhered before doing this because sometimes, I am constantly changing my mind about the design of my layout… I’m a fussy scrapper; everything needs to look perfect (to me). My friends are always telling me that I should have been a doctor because my handwriting sucks, but I love using my own handwriting on my layouts, even if it looks messy because it shows so much… And it looks true and real. Does that make sense? I hope so.

And here’s my final project after everything is said and done. Even though I fussed over this layout, it looks simple… Just so you know, simple doesn’t always mean faster. I sometimes spend an hour on my layouts and it doesn’t even look like it.


 
Supplies used: Cardstock: Creative Memories, Patterned Paper: American Crafts, Chipboard alphas: American Crafts, Chipboard: American Crafts, Stickers: American Crafts, Wasi border stickers: American Crafts-Crate Paper, Fabric Poloroid frame (cut): American Crafts-Crate Paper, Tags: American Crafts, Ribbon: May Arts, Heart punches: Creative Memories, Pen: Signo-Uniball, Adhesives: Creative Memories.

Thanks so much for stopping by! I really appreciate it. And I hope you have a great weekend.


No comments: