May 24, 2013

Fake stitching

Every now and then, I will finish a layout that I’m not exactly happy with. Sometimes I let it sit overnight and will go back to it the next day to decide if I like it or not. Most of the time, I change my mind and am pleased, but with this layout, I felt like it was a little too flat. It’s missing something… I don’t like to over embellish my layouts because it can get make my layout too bulky or more expensive!


So after thinking about it over night, I decided to create a fun stitched border at the top and bottom of the layout. Scrappers can buy paper garlands to look like this, but it will cost ya and as long as you own some punches and a sewing machine, you can make one yourself without spending any money.

 As I was prepping my sewing machine, I couldn’t get the bob in so I had to come up with something else… I already had the punched shapes adhered to the layout. I didn’t want to just leave them the way they were and call it a night. So rather than use a sewing machine to create a run wavy stitch across the punched shapes, I used a marker and ruler to “fake” stitch. As you can see, a marker and ruler can create a similar look minus the hassle of fighting with a sewing machine! Now, the next time I visit my grandmother, I’m gonna have to get her to re-bob it for me. I know, some sewer I am right?




And here is my layout. I'm happy with how this one turned out even if this wasn't completely what I had in mind.


 
Supplies: Cardstock: American Crafts, Patterned paper: Webster's Pages, Rub-ons: Jenni Bowlin, Washi tape: Prima, Stickers: Webster's Pages, Sticker alphas: Webster's Pages, Corner rounder: Creative Memories, Star punch: Epiphany Crafts, Circle punch: Ephiphany Crafts, Marker: Creative Memories, Adhesives: Creative Memories, Gluedots, Kit: SFTIO.
 

1 comment:

Cindy Gay said...

I love your pages and designs. I too have bobbin issues (& I have a home ec background.......) Have a nice Memorial Day weekend.