September 6, 2013

The Storyteller


What’s the last book you read? I just finished reading “The Storyteller” by Jodi Picoult. Although, I said that I would never read a book based on the Holocaust after “Sarah’s Key”, I decided to read “The Storyteller”. It literally took me an entire month to read the book because it was so damn sad. I just had to put the book down because I cried so much that I couldn’t see the words on the page. Yep, like I said, it was that sad.

My friend Leah would say, “You’re not done reading that book yet?” And I would tell her that it’s too sad and that I could only handle the book in small dosages. She asked why I insisted on reading such a sad book and I was like I don’t know. I love Jodi Picoult, she writes a good story. But as I engrossed myself in the book, I could totally paint my own picture of what happened and it made me sick to my stomach; some nights after reading a few chapters, I felt like I was going to be sick.

Jen asked me today why I read it when what happened in 1944 was horrific and devastating. And I replied, “Because every now and then, we take things for granted… and when I read stuff like that, it makes me feel very lucky to be alive and appreciate what I have… and it also makes me proud to be an American.”

It amazes me that there were survivors. That takes determination, faith, and strength! I admire those who survived because they never gave up hope. And I can’t blame the survivors for not wanting to talk about what happened because I’m sure there are no words that describe what they literally went through.

So if you for some reason or another need some help with how to appreciate what you've got,  go ahead and read it… Sure, you’ll cry, but you’ll definitely appreciate life more after reading about the hell those people went through.


No comments: