November 21, 2013

Stitching with templates

So I've had these stitching templates by American Crafts for some time now... I bought them on sale at a discounted price thinking they'd be great... and they would challenge me to try something new on my layout. So I started poking the holes for the alphas through the cardstock with the needle. Everything seemed to be working great until I had to actually thread the holes. Wholey cow. Really? I had no idea how one simple word would take me an hour to stitch :)

To make it easier on myself, rather than knot the end of the thread, I taped it to the layout. This is something I learned from Amy Tangerine :) It helps to blog hop your favorite scrappers from time to time. You never know when their tips and tricks will come in handy.



 

In case you're thinking about giving this technique a try. Do keep in mind that you have to stitch forward and backwards so that you cover all of the holes. I didn't quite get it until I tried a few times. But, practice makes perfect. Here's my layout. I love how this turned out. If you look closely, you will see a mistake in my stitching, but give me a break, this was my first time stitching on my layout free hand, using a template.


1 comment:

Mary Jo Rhoda said...

Turned out so super cute!
I am so glad you posted this!
I have the same template and have yet to use it. I keep saying I should.
The tips will be helpful :)