January 20, 2014

Playing with Gelatos.

Hi everyone. Last week, I decided to send Edward to school on my flex day so I could play and have a day to myself! I normally keep him home, but I needed a day to play... And when he's with me, I can't play with mixed media because he wants to get messy with me too... And I only like to clean up my own messes, not his. LOL.

I've had these Gelatos by Faber-Castell for awhile now. I just didn't know what to do with them and honestly, I thought that they were so messy that clunks would come of the paper, but I was totally wrong. That's what I get for assuming that I knew about these things prior to trying them out.

So I thought, since it's my first time playing with these, I'd share my process with you in case you've been on the fence about these too! The first thing I did was pick my colors. I chose blue, pink, green and gold. (LOVE GOLD).

 
Then I printed 3 stars on a 8 1/2x11" piece of paper using my new Silhouette Portrait. I think this is the best gift ever... besides my teal Uggs that my darling sisters bought me for Christmas! I cut another 8 /2"x11" piece of paper for my base.
 
 
Then I just started applying the Gelatos onto my base. Don't worry about being neat because if you're using another paper with cut outs, you are just going to see bits and pieces of the colors. You'll see what I mean later. Notice how the gels look like crayon? I actually thought I could blend them with a paper towel... You can't. So make sure you apply hard on the paper so there is not white showing if you are going for a more opaque look.
 
 
Once you're done coloring on the paper, take a paper towel and wipe any excess gels off the paper. Otherwise, you will have a difficult time keeping embellishments on the layout.
 
 
Then apply glue to the edges of your base because once this is done, you are going to apply the other piece of paper with the star cuts from the Silhouette Portrait right onto the base.
 
 
And see what I meant when I said you'll only see bits and pieces of the colors. I love how this looks! This stuff is fun!! I think I need to get myself some more colors.
 
 
This is what the gels look like when you press hard. I like this better.
 
 
And here is my final layout! Ah, I love, love, love this even though it took me 1 1/2 hours! I don't think it's taken me that long to complete a layout ever. But it was well worth it.
 
 
Products used: Patterned paper: Glitz Design, Project life note cards: American Crafts,  Acrylic: Freckled Fawn (arrow), Thickers: American Crafts, Tags: Elle’s Studio, Decorative Tape: Freckled Fawn, Acrylic stamps: Freckled Fawn (2014, Brrr!), Paint: Tattered Angels, Marker: Faber-Castell, Pen: American Crafts, Gold metallic marker: Creative Memories, Gelatos: Faber-Castell, Die cut machine: Silhouette Portrait, Dies: Stars (trio), Glue: Helmar Design.

Journaling says: I love that smile so much! You were so excited that it finally snowed enough that you could play in it! It only took four years. Brrr!
 
I hope I was able to inspire you to try something new today! If you want more ideas on how to use the gels, visit Faber-Castell's blog! Have a fabulous time creating.

No comments: