September 8, 2015

Book Binding

Hi everyone. I am always amazed at how well Paige Evans binds books together and so I thought I'd give it a try with a few pages. Honestly, I thought it would be easy. How hard is it to pierce holds in pages and then sew them together by hand? Not hard, but not easy. I had to pull up a video on YouTube to figure out how to stitch the pages. Click here if you'd like to learn how to saddle thread your albums together. LOVE how you can find just about anything on YouTube and not have to pay to learn how to do something.

Before I started doing anything, I pulled out some Pretty Little Studio patterned papers and cut 6 pieces of the 8"x8" papers down to 8"x5".

 
 
Then I folded each of the papers in half, smoothing the edges with a bone file. Then I selected the color thread I wanted to use.
 
 
 
 
After I smooth the edges and selected my thread, I used a paper piercer to pierce holes in the center of the papers. I used a ruler and pencil to place dots in the middle of the crease, measuring the first dot, 1" from the top and bottom of the paper and then I added 3 more dots down the center of the page approximately 1" apart from the top dot.
 
 
And because I am too lazy to do this process 5 more times, I used the first page as a template placing another page behind it and poked the holes through the paper.
 
 
 
Before I started stitching the pages together, I pulled out a few buttons, paper clips and sequins that I might want to use for the spine.
 
 
Since Pretty Little Studio doesn't have patterns on both the back and front of the sheets, I adhered the patterns back-to-back using a tape runner.
 
 
Once my pages were adhered, I had a total of 3 page to stitch together. I used metal clips to hold the pages together so that they would not move when I started threading the needle through the holes.
 
 
Thread your needle, but do NOT tie a knot. I started threading from front to back, starting with the center hole.
 
 
Don't forget to feed your sequin and clips through the thread before moving to the next hole.
 
 
 
Once you've stitched each hole together, tie a knot in the middle of the page and cut the edges of the string. And here's my little book. I think it turned out okay considering it was my first. Next time, I will try binding more pages together. I did not want to overwhelm myself with my first attempt. I think I will give this to one of my family members for Christmas this year once I've added my pictures and embellishments. I will make the perfect gift!
 
 
Products used: Patterned paper: Pretty Little Studio, Sequin: Pretty Little Studio, Paper clip: Doilies: Puffy stickers: Freckled Fawn, Buttons: Bella Blvd, Stamps: Ali Edwards.
 
Thanks for visiting today. Please come back next week to see how I altered this pretty little album!
 

No comments: