September 23, 2015

Hamlet

Hi everyone. It's been 7 months since we brought Hamlet home. He was only 2 months old and not even a pound. He was so tiny! Just a few days before Pete went to pick Hamlet up from the Breeder, I changed my mind and told him not to get the pig. He didn't listen. The only reason why I changed my mind was because I knew I'd be the only one cleaning after the pig. Well, 7 months later, that is true. I am the one who cleans up after him, feeds him and cleans his eyes as needed. Anything he needs, I do it. And I honestly don't mind it much because he is MUCH easier than having a puppy. I had him trained to use the puppy pads and to go outside in less than 3 weeks. EASY! Pigs are very smart. You really only need to show them something once and they get it.

Hamlet thinks I am his mommy. He will not let anyone pick him up except for me. Pete is actually scared to try because Hamlet will growl. LOL. He grumbles at me too, but he knows not to nip the hands that feeds him. At night, he sleeps right up against my back and yells at Pete when he comes to bed. hehe.

For those of you wondering the cons of having a pig. There's only a few. Really. If you get a male pig, be sure to have him neutered. Trust me, you do NOT want an unneutered pig. When their rocket comes out, it's disgusting and that's all I will say. We got Hamlet neutered at 3 months. Also, they like attention so if you don't have time to snuggle and play with a pig, you shouldn't get one. They like to play, cuddle and spend time together just like any other pet. Also, you have to be persistent or he or she will walk all over you! They know how to play you. :) Just saying, Hamlet might they he has me wrapped around his finger, but I think I have him wrapped. :)





 

 
 

Some fun facts about having Hamlet:

1. He loves to snuggle while I'm watching White Collar on Netflix.
2. Every night, he sleeps right up against me with his face near my neck.
3. He lets Pete sleep as late as he wants, but on the weekends, he is nudging me out of the bed by 9am. The boy wants to be fed.
4. He loves Cheese, grapes, apples, oats, and juice.
5. He is constantly getting into Edward's Legos. He won't touch anything else, but he treats Legos like chewing gum. Enough said.
6. He LOVES paper. I think he loves the ripping sound, I am not sure, but I have to watch him when he's in my scrap-room because he goes looking through my shelves for paper. :)
7. He loves being outside because it's his change to eat grass and search the ground for acorns or strawberries for him to eat since he's only fed 1 cup of food per day. He makes up for it being outside.
8. Every morning Edward watches me leave for work and he greets me at the door wagging his tail.
9. He makes a funny "kissy" face when he wants some treats. It's hilarious.
10. He oinks a lot. And whenever he hears someone going into the fridge, he runs for the kitchen.
11. Around 9pm at night, he's ready for bed and he will not stop grunting and nudging me until I get in the bed so he can snuggle up against me for the night.
12. He gives me kisses out of the blue, usually when we are snuggling.

I must admit, I enjoy having Hamlet. He's very smart, loving and he's great company. Yes, he's getting bigger and bigger than when we first got him, but not much bigger than a dog... And if he gets to be 125 pounds, I will still love him because he has a personality and deserves to be loved too.

And here he is today! He's about 35 pounds.


No comments: